Rental Licensing Program
The Le Sueur City Council recently adopted a Rental Licensing program in an effort to ensure all rental properties are safe and healthy for their occupants. The program requirements will go into effect on January 1, 2016.
Highlights of the program include:
- Crime Free Housing standards including background checks on managers and tenants.
- Each license holder must complete a Crime Free Housing Program offered by the City (or proof of completion from another entity).
- The licensee or applicant must not be delinquent on any property taxes, assessments or other financial obligations owing to the City.
- Each rental license is good for a three year period.
- A license can be suspended or revoked for allowing a disorderly house or a public nuisance.
- An appeals process for any license rejection, suspension or revocation.
For this initial license period, all rental property owners must complete an application and submit the appropriate fee by 1/31/16. The license fee is $75 for properties with 1-3 rental units and $25 for each additional unit. There is also a $25 No Show fee and a $35 Re-Inspection fee.
Each rental property owner must by the end of the initial 3-year license period complete a Crime Free Multi-Housing Program (or submit a comparable certificate from another jurisdiction). We will be partnering with the City of Mankato to provide the Crime-Free Housing Program – details of when and where that program training will take place will be forthcoming.
The approximately 450 rental properties in the City will be inspected over a three year period beginning in January 2016. Landlords will be notified by mail of the date and time for the inspection.
Rental Regulation Ordinance
Residential Rental License Application
Residential Rental License Application - Fillable
Residential Rental Inspection Form