The Le Sueur Electric Utility Department has been providing the City of Le Sueur with safe, efficient, electric power since the early 1900's. For many years, the City of Le Sueur owned and operated its own power generating system. But, eventually, the systems became outdated and inefficient.
In 1992, the Le Sueur Electric Utility joined forces with 10 other Minnesota Cities, to purchase, distribute, and resell wholesale power (Minnesota Municipal Power Agency-MMPA). This group buying strategy enables negotiating/contracting for purchasing electric power at the best rates possible.
Equipment, Staff & Administration
To provide electric power, we:
- Construct and maintain the underground and overhead distribution system* that feeds power to homes and businesses, and
- Administer the purchase of electric power from the most cost-effective sources through our purchasing group, a consortium of 8 Minnesota Cities. (MMPA)
- In newer residential areas, electric lines are constructed underground
- In older areas, overhead electric lines are strung to the home/business
Other Services & Benefits
The Electric Fund annually transfers a percentage of its funds into the City of Le Sueur General Fund to help reduce City taxes. We provide education and strategies to help citizens reduce electric power usage and support alternative energy sources.
Clean Energy ChoiceResidential utility customers have the option to serve more of their homes’ electricity usage from renewable sources for only a few extra dollars per month.
This program benefits our customers by providing a predictable, low-cost alternative to choosing renewable energy. Customers have the satisfaction of benefiting our environment with participation in this eco-friendly, clean-energy choice.
The following are all flat rates that would be included in monthly utility bills:
- 50% of electricity from renewables: $1.00/month flat fee
- 75% of electricity from renewables: $2.00/month flat fee
- 100% of electricity from renewables: $3.00/month flat fee
Customers can sign-up simply by visiting our Clean Energy Choice page. There is no commitment to this program and it can easily be cancelled at any time by contacting City Hall.
Click below for more information, including a list of Frequently Asked Questions.
Clean Energy Choice